Cooperatives Europe at the European Development Days 2019: “Addressing inequalities through people-centred businesses.
For the fourth consecutive year, Cooperatives Europe will be actively participating in a record number of activities within the European Development Days (EDD). The organization will be the voice of cooperative enterprises in front of the international development community.
What are the European Development Days?
Organised by the European Commission, the European Development Days (EDD) are Europe’s leading forum on International Cooperation and Development. The EDD’s bring together the international development community, world leaders and key policy makers in order to share ideas and experiences and inspire innovative solutions and new partnerships for the world’s most pressing challenges.
This year the forum will focus on “Addressing inequalities: building a world which leaves no one behind.” Read more about EDDs here.
Cooperatives Europe’s activities
On 18th of June Cooperatives Europe will holding two sessions on this year’s theme. Participants will be able to visit our stand and discover cooperatives during both days.
A Report Lab based on latest research into cooperatives and peace-building
Following a release of Cooperatives Europe’s latest thematic research Cooperatives and Peace: Strengthening Democracy, Participation and Trust - A Case Study Approach,” a report lab will highlight what cooperatives are doing to tackle inequalities whilst advancing peacebuilding and conflict resolution around the globe, in partnership with various Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) and local authorities.
Location: 3.15 pm, room S2
Peter van Sluijs, Coordinator CSPPS at the Catholic Organisation for Relief and Development Aid will moderate the session, and the following speakers will attend it:
- Agnès Mathis – Director, Cooperatives Europe: Perspective from Cooperatives Europe on political aspects and partnerships
- Amanda Benson - Projects and Research Officer, The Co-operative College: speaking on cooperatives in post-conflict Rwanda
- Samar Khalil - Project Manager, AVSI Lebanon: speaking on the Aamal Project in Lebanon, focused on employment opportunities for refugees
- Juan Cuervo, Executive Secretary, RevoluSolar: presenting the setting of a renewable energy cooperative in a Brazilian favela
Brainstorming session: Tackling inequalities through youth empowerment
A brainstorming session will study the cross-cutting topics of unemployment, education, access to finance and youth inclusion and develop concrete actions. The participants will be divided into 4 discussion tables based on the following topics: inequalities in the labour market, access to credit, mobility and peer to peer training.
Location: 5 pm in room B1
The session will be moderated by Trees Vandenbulcke, Advisor in Cooperative Entrepreneurship at CERA, and four speakers will be present:
- Tom Gelade - Microinsurance Program Coordinator, Belgian Raiffeisen Foundation
- Valeria Rainisio - European Project Expert, FILSE - Financia Agency of Liguria Region
- Tapiwa Nyandoro - Capacity Building Coordinator, Impact Hub Global
- Goda Neverauskaite - Advisor, International Trade Union Confederation
Cooperatives Europe’s stand & cooperators from the field
Cooperatives Europe Development Platform’s (CEDP) projects and #coops4dev ongoing activities will be showcased atstand 7 in the EDD village on both 18th and 19th of June. Participants will be able to discover cooperatives, projects implemented worldwide and meet co-operators from the field, particularly through the CEDP projects WOPRE (We Effect), fighting for women’s political representation in Kenya and S.P.R.IN.G (Legacoop), working at strengthening CSO’s participation for a responsible and inclusive agriculture growth through the development of the rural cooperatives. Among others, you will also have the opportunity to discover the aroundtheworld.coop documentaries.
A panel discussion will be co-organized with Women Engage for a Common Future (WECF) during the EDDs. The main subject of the discussion will be how renewable energy cooperatives can tackle gender inequality and environmental inequalities.
- Juan Cuervo, Executive Secretary RevoluSolar
- Katharina Habersbrunner, Senior Coordinator Sustainable Energy, WECF
- Yolanda Picazo, Co-President, Mujeres con Energia
- Jos Harmsen , Senior Supply & Development manager, Max Havelaar (tbc=
June 19th , 13.45 – 14.45 at the Cooperatives Europe stand nr. 7
Information about the venue
The European Development Days 2019 (EDD 2019) will take place on 18th-19th June 2019 at Tour & Taxis in Brussels, Belgium. For more information about the event, please go to the EDD website.